Monday 23 July 2018

Day 21 Mt Bundy Station to Katherine by Danny

So I woke up feeling a hundred bucks after the beers I had last night and the $20 I was missing from paying Bill to sing The Man From Snowy River to the diners at Mount Bundy Station. It actually felt a bit like the morning after the races, so twenty down probably wasn’t a bad result.

We all got to have a sleep in this morning which was great. Then we skipped out at a quarter past eviction time (10:45 am), after I spoke to all my new mates. We made our way back to Katherine, and once again we were guests of Tom and Annabelle Curtain, who run the Katherine Outback Experience show - he also won 2 golden guitars this year (and I got to touch one). The Curtains were at Tipperary Station NT giving a breaking school for the weekend so we had their place to ourselves. 

We got organised and headed into the Katherine Show/Rodeo. The last time I was here for the show I placed 5th in a campdraft on Col Mitchell’s horse. Good memories, and the best part still, was that I got to catch up with Martin Oaks who wrote Trail Of Dreams with Sara Storer. Still the cracking bloke I remember.

(This was a ride that lit Jess’s eyes up. I told her to look at old mate who’s job it is to tighten up the nuts and bolts before she decides to get on. Dunno if she rode it or not!)


(Martin Oaks. NT horse breaker and top bloke)

While I was having a beer with Martin and reminiscing - Caro had a few stresses to deal with - a young girl asked her to borrow her phone to make a call. It turns out the young girl was hiding from her father and didn’t know what to do. The girl rang her mother in Adelaide, who asked Caro to take the girl to the police. Messy caper. Turns out security and the cops and child welfare  and all got involved after Caro left (she went back to check on her).



(A random rodeo picture that was sent to me - because we didn’t take any good ones on the night)

We watched the thrills and spills till 9 pm and thought we’d go home for an early night as we had a 1,000km day tomorrow to get to the Barkly Homestead.

Tomorrow we should make Longreach by lunchtime - wait a minute - I’m a couple of days late with my blog - tomorrow we made ...Barkly Homestead .... ladies and gentlemen I give you Jess Phegan who has been patiently waiting to post her blog ...

No comments:

Post a Comment