Thursday 14 July 2016

Day 41 - Nanutarra to Exmouth by Danny

For 40 consecutive early mornings I have had to get up for a wee, and I am now convinced that I have reached middle age. It sucks. It is cold, I can never find my boots, and although I try and be ninja quiet for everyone else's sake I know I'm making more noise than a possum going through garbage. But it is what it is. This morning I tried to wish it away for 20 minutes but at 4:37 am I gave up and stumbled around for my boots, trying to get back to bed before the pre dawn cold snap sets in.

Back in bed I can't sleep so I read a few chapters of a new book I'm reading ' last of the nomads'.

At 6:30 I'm a bit weary again so I close my eyes and before I know it ..... Dad rings .... At 6:31. He realises he is 2 hours in front of us so by the time I find my boots again and stumble out the door he hangs up.

In the next few minutes I get some business emails, not farm related, which stir me up for most of the morning and it's fair to say I wasn't the greatest coversationist til about lunchtime when we arrive at Exmouth. This is a great little spot. Caroline gets the kids organised with hired Scooba gear and we head out to Ningaloo Reef. I have to admit that I still get the 'Derr Dnts' if I go out above my waist in the ocean so I watch Caroline and the kids go out first to make sure there are no sharks. Between snakes and sharks I'm starting to think I'm a bit of a wuss. (Except for the time I stood up to the Zebra Rock bloke at Kunanurra - I negative trip advisered the hell out of him!)

 

 
 
 

Reefs never seem to look as colourful as they do on Finding Nemo but the characters do. 

We saw:

This guy

 

And this guy

 

And this guy


And this guy

 

And this guy

 

And this guy is out there but we will probably swim with him tomorrow

 

But we didn't see this guy


He was actually very hard to find. Which is just as well because we learnt at the hatchery at One Armed Point that they are cranky territorial little buggers who punch well above their weight. 

After the swim Bill and I went fishing to try and eat all the cute characters we'd seen earlier.

We caught this guys little brother but the surf reclaimed him on the beach

 

 And then this bloke who was some sort of emporer.

 

After fishing we head out to the site of a ship wreck to watch the sun set.

 
 
Then we went to the single best pub we have been to all trip and had the best steak I've eaten since we have been away. We watched the state of origin at the Cadillac honky tonk bar.

Back home in bed at the float and Adelaide has crawled in beside me. She won't be so happy with her sleeping arrangements when I need to get up for a wee. (That reminds me to leave my boots out)

Night
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment